Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wasatch Back Relay!

Sorry for the lack of updates. We have spent the last few weeks out of town. We headed to Utah and are now relaxing in California. I will post lots about our trip over the next few days but I wanted to do this post first!

I am so proud of my hubby! For the last 3 years he has ran the Wastach Back Relay, a relay race with 12 team members that goes from Logan to Park City. My cousin and uncle are actually the founders of the race and have done an incredible job. The first year I think they had 30 teams and this year, 5 years later, they had 578 teams! The first 2 years Ryan ran he ran with a random team of people he did not know. This year he tried to put together a family team which in the end turned out to be a random team of family and friends. It was especially fun for Ry to run with his brothers and brother-n-laws! They had so much fun and did a great job coming in 101 overall!

They had some crazy experiences. They decided to rent vans this year and on their way up to Logan a metal rod flew off of a truck, hit their car, and smashed their windshield. When they called to tell me about it I thought they were saying a rock hit their car and did not think it was that big of a deal. It was a good thing I didn't realize the severity of it until I saw Ryan and knew he was okay. Apparently the police officer told them how lucky they were because if the rod would have it a different spot it would have been much worse. After a police report and getting a new van, they made it to the start line and headed out. I helped at the start line with my mom and sisters which is always fun! I love to see the excitment of the runners crazy enough to do this. Ryan was the first runner and it was fun to see him take off. We headed to the "big exchange" and watched Ryan's brother Kevin come flying in. He later ended up with severe heat stroke/dehydration from pushing himself a little too hard on his leg. He did so awesome though. My dad ended up putting an IV in him and driving him home at 3:00 a.m. He is a McGiven though and it was no surprise that he met up with his team the next morning and helped them finish the race!

Through heat stroke and a car accident we are glad everyone was okay! They finished the race, 181 miles, in 26 hours and 29 minutes! It was a great time had by all! We are so proud of them and are already looking forward to next year!

12 comments:

Renee said...

I have been waiting for you to post! Thanks! I cannot wait to see the pictures of your latest adventure....talk to you soon!

Niki Carter said...

That sounds insane! How many miles do they each have to run? Is there a cause or is it just for fun?

Jess said...

I know this is insane but I totally want to do it next year. I think it would be such a cool experience!

Lindsay Ercanbrack said...

Yeah Ryan! Sounds like fun :) Sarah when we hit a summer where we have enough friends who are not pregnant we're going to do this...I promise you can do it :) If I can, you can! I hope you're having a great time in Cali and can't wait to hear about it!

jaanderson family said...

Thats awesome sarah! yeah for Ryan! cute cute pics! Glad he is ok from the car wreck!

Jeanna said...

That is pretty sweet! How long does each runner have to run? Is it a full marathon for each? I have no idea the mileage between Logan and Park City.

Nice job guys!!

Robins Fam said...

Hi Sarah, it's Stacey from work. I ran into your blog off of Katherine Flynn's. How are ya? I love your blog and your fam is so cute. Your boys are getting so big. Way to go on the big race. Sounds like things are going well. Take care!

Stacey

Uffens Family said...

Way to go Ryan!! Seriously! My bro-in-law did it and I think he has convinced me and Mike to do it next year...although that is lots of time to change my mind...figure it is good incentive to get my behind in gear after Paige gets here :) Looks like a blast...and love the family picture of you guys! Hope you guys are doing great!!!

Angela and Mike said...

Wow crazy about the pole..I hadn't heard that. I'm glad they are okay. Congrats to Ryan and the Hill team on a great race!

jakeandstephanietaylor said...

My dear friend...you have been MIA!!!
Looks like you have been having lots of fun:) Good job Ryan and family! Glad they were safe...that windshield looks freaky! I would have been freaking out if I had been in that car!!! And Like Linds I will do it too...Ill be on the team and we will kill it!!!! Call me k!

Beth said...

Wow!!! Way to go Ryan! I am no runner,,,but I am a great fan! So you guys do a team and I will drive the car!

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

Wow! That is amazing! That is crazy about the rod hitting the van. How scary!