
So today I was at my exercise group and somehow it came up that Brady and Easton are still in cribs. Everyone was shocked. Am I crazy? When did you move your kids to "big boy beds?" My boys went through a stage where they would climb out every day and I considered moving them but they stopped doing it. Lately they have been climbing out every once in a while but not all the time. The other day Easton got hurt climbing out which got me thinking about making the transition but I just don't know.
Part of the reason I don't want to move them is because I am scared they will stop napping and that is when I work so I really need them to take a nap. Did your kids still nap? I am wondering if when we move to Utah we should just set up their toddler beds or if that is too much change for them all at once. If you can't tell I am clueless. I am hoping someone/anyone can give me advice. Am I crazy to have my kids in cribs at 2 1/2? If you have twins or know someone who has twins and made the switch your advice would be even more appreciated!P.S. Their cribs are from IKEA and transition into toddler beds. I know they are not the cutest thing ever but have been perfect for us and were the right price for 2!!! Someday the boys will have a really cute room with really cute beds...just not yet!
15 comments:
I don't think your crazy :-).. I hear people tell me all the time keep them in cribs as long as they will let you.. We moved Savannah in a bed at 17 months, stupidess things we ever did.. She turned into a sleeping monster! Every move she made in that bed woke her up enough to get out she loved to wander. When we moved to my parents they had a crib set up so we put her back in and it's been heaven! When we move we figured we would but her back in the bed and she would be old enough to do fine (and listen to threats :-)) Anyways thats what works for us.. Do what works for you.. She climbs out sometimes but only when she is fully awake and ready to get out of bed (not in the middle of the night when she's a zombie) Anyways sorry that was a novel.
Don't do it until you have to! It's one of the hardest transitions, I think. I never move my kids until I need the crib for the next kid. Regardless of when you make the switch, it will take time for them to understand -- all of a sudden they have a new freedom, and they want to take advantage of it! Good luck!
Bailee was 3 before I moved her into a big girl bed. I think it is smart to keep them in a crib until you feel they are ready for the big boy bed.
Bailee did stop napping once I put her in the big girl bed. The only time I could get her to nap is if I put her in my bed.
Good Luck!!
Sarah, I have had extremely good luck with transitioning my kids into beds. Sydney was the first one we moved just because and not because we needed her crib. We didn't do it until she was almost 3. At that age they can understand you mean business when you tell them to stay in bed. We have never had a problem getting our kids to stay in bed, in fact if Sydney needs something she calls me, she doesn't get up.
I just think you need to do what is right for you. You will feel when the time is right, you know those boys better than anyone. There are no hard fast rules. Don't let anyone push you into anything, it really isn't their business.
The nap thing is huge for me too, and I would be so sad if it ended before it was time. Sydney is 3 and a half and still naps everyday, even in her big bed. I know lots of moms who let their kids give up naps way before their time, because they didn't want to push the issue. People are always shocked that Sydney still naps.
It will all work out, just go at your own pace.
I kept my kids in cribs for a long time! My kids never learned to climb out, so when we changed them over it was because we wanted to re-do the room. Or a room shift. Mostly, we didn't want them to become dependent on the crib. But you basicly dont do it till you re ready. And, no, naps never go as well when they are in a big bed. They wander, bang on the door, etc. I wish I would have waited longer to switch Kallin over, but we moved both the kids when we found out we were prego. I didn't do that with colette when kallin was on the way, I got naps for WAY longer.
Oh Sarah...with two kids I would keep them in the crib as long as you can. I'm still holding off with Peyt and his bed is all ready to go! I'm so NERVOUS! I'm sure it will all be fine but I'm just not ready for it. Do it when you are ready and you think they are too! Unfortunately I'm kind of being forced into the situation :)
if you want your kids to nap, they will but you have to be willing to do it if they fight you. As far as moving them into a bed, do it when you feel like they are ready. In our case, we waited until Brooke was ready, about 2 1/2, and she did great. Never got out. So as said before, only you know how your kids handle things. It will be fine. Don't worry too much about it.
Crib Tent II baby!! I'd keep them in a crib as long as you like. Your the one that has to deal with 2 year old twins so do what's most convenient for you.
P.S. Thanks for letting Gary bunk up at your place and Kardio Kris says thank you too.
Lily was out of the crib at 18 months and stella was closer to 2. They both still took naps, the transition was smooth on both girls, we never had any problems, they both still take naps to this day, which everyone thinks is crazy considering lily is about to turn 5. i say just do what works for you!
Hey...Bailee was in her crib until she was like 3. Sammie is STILL in her crib, and probably will be for a while because she CANT GET OUT!!! I enjoy having her in it because she can't get out. My girls are both chicken and have NEVER climbed out :)
BTW...what exercise group are you going to?
My twins are also still in their cribs. I keep thinking I want to switch them, but then everyone warns me not to. I'm just worried that they will never be good sleepers again! I think I have decided to leave them in cribs for now, why mess with a good thing, right? Do your boys share a room or have their own? Mine used to share and now they have their own, but we are moving next week and they are going back to sharing. I'm a little worried about how nap time will work out.
I agree with EVERYONE! Hallie was always an amazing sleeper...when i moved her, she was fine. Savvy just climbed out of her crib at like 15months so I put her in a big bed early. She still is the worst sleeper!
It so depends on the child! You will know when to make the change!
But, if I were you...keep them in their crib as LLLLOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG as you can!
I sometimes feel like I am doing something wrong with Annie still in her crib...then I realize...I am lucky she is! That way she is not bugging me in the middle of the night or getting out of bed and into trouble :) I am all for leaving them in a crib as long as possible!!! Especially with the move coming...I would leave them in :)
I don't have twins, but I did have two very active children, just 3 years apart. Both of them were climbing out of their crib at 9 and 10 months so I moved them to big kid beds by the time they were about 1. They still took naps in their beds, they were the best nappers!
But, as everyone has said, you HAVE to do what is right for you. And, I understand about needing to work when they nap, so make sure you are 100% comfortable about what is going on with their nap time before you make a switch. Are they in the same room? Having my kids in the same room (back when they were smaller) was a huge disaster....too many distractions between the two of them.
My sister has a 3 YO and a 2 YO and they both stay in bed for naps and for bedtime. I have no idea how she did it! :)
Carter transitioned out about 21/2. It was super easy and he still napped. Griffin moved to a big boy bed a couple of months ago because he started waking up for two hours every night. He would climb out and we'd put him back in, screaming etc., every night. We put him in a big boy bed and put a lock on the outside of his door and told him if he wouldn't stay in his bed he'd get locked in and showed him the hook and eye on the outside. This way we knew he could climb back in bed (he couldn't climb back in the crib.)(we did this with Carter too.) We never had another problem. He did quit napping, but that happened when he learned to crawl out of the crib and I got sick at the same time and it also conflicted with Carter's preschool. I think me not functioning was more the problem then the bed when it came to naps.
However, I never move to the next stage (taking away binky, potty training, big boy beds, solid foods:), unless I'm so bugged with the current stage I can't stand it.
Post a Comment