Thursday, October 9, 2008

Evelyn Amanda Thompson

My Sweet Grandma passed away last night. We jumped in the car and are now in Utah to be with my mom and family. It is a bitter sweet day. We will miss her dearly but are so glad she has gone home to be with our Heavenly Father and my Grandpa Joe who passed away 12 years ago. The time I spent with my Grandma recently and the pictures I took with the boys are a gift I will cherish forever. My older sister Renee had taken her kids to visit her yesterday and were there at the time of her passing. Here is a brief description of what happened in my dad's words.

"It is with sadness that I announce the passing of Joeen's mother Evelyn earlier this evening. For some time the family has been aware of a growing aneurysm in her brain, for which there was not a reasonable option for treatment. Over the past year she had experienced increasing difficulty with confusion and balance and had suffered at least one stroke. Today she ruptured the aneurysm, and passed away peacefully shortly thereafter.

Her last awake moments serve as an appropriate metaphor for what was most important to Evelyn. Renee was visiting with her children, and Austin was running up to Great Grandma who started to lift him up. At that instant she collapsed into Renee's arms, and was gone. I can vision Evelyn's wonderful smile as Austin approached, and the gratitude she would have felt to have such precious visitors. Her life was completely devoted to her extended family, and it some how seems fitting that her last moments would have been shared with one of her beloved grandchildren and a great grandson, reaching out to greet them.

It is not often enough that I reflect on the blessing of a wonderful family, or credit Evelyn adequately for much of what is good and wonderful in my life. From the frozen plains of Northern Minnesota and Norwegian immigrant heritage, raised by a widow during the Depression, this shy, humble, and self effacing woman raised six wonderful children who returned her love with a host of charming grandchildren who adored her. All of her energy was expended loving and supporting her extended family
and honoring the faith she adopted after marrying her husband, Joe."

17 comments:

Sarah Goodsell said...

Glad you can be with your family! Sorry for the reason but glad she's with her husband again. What your dad said was amazing what a wonderful woman. I'm also glad you and the boys were able to see her when you were up there.

Angela and Mike said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the sad news. I guess she's with her husband now..but she will be missed! She was always so sweet to me and Mike and I will remember her sweet disposition. I'm glad you are with your family now. Send them my love.

Uffens Family said...

Sarah, I was so sad to hear that news. I am so glad that you were able to spend time with her so recently and it makes that picture of her and your boys even more priceless. I am glad you are able to be with your family. Luckily we have the gospel and know so much.

Jaime Stephens said...

I am sorry to hear of your grandmas passing. Those were wonderful words from your dad though she seems like a very special lady..

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I am so sorry for your loss. That was an extremely beautiful tribute to your grandmother. She sounds like she was wonderful. I wish you and your family well.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that made me cry. I wish your family the best with the news of your Grandma's passing. Take Care.

Jules said...

I am crying as I write this. Your dad has a gift with words, among other things. I don't know what I would do if I were in Renee's position. I was there when my Grandpa White passed and I will always be grateful to have witnessed the last few moments of his life. I hope Renee and the kids are doing all right. It amazes me how resilient kids are.

Linds said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy to lose someone no matter the circumstance... let me know if there's anything I can do while you're here.

jaanderson family said...

Sorry to hear of your loss. I am glad you got to spend time with her recently and get some priceless pictures. I am glad you are with your family now celebrating her life.

Heather said...

So sorry for your loss and all the Hill and Thompson family. You are in our thoughts and prayers. I just love Grandma Evy. So sweet, so kind, so smiley! She will be missed!

Becky said...

So sorry to hear that. I'm glad that you live close enough to be able to come up quickly.

Lindsay Ercanbrack said...

Sar I'm so sorry. I'm glad you could make it up here to be with your family. How sweet to think of these reunions though with their cute husbands...those open arms that have waited all those years :) I know you loved her very much...and those pictures are priceless! Love you and we'll be praying for you and your family. I hope Renee is OK...would be hard to be the only one there.

jakeandstephanietaylor said...

What beautiful words from your dad...made me cry. Its never easy to lose someone, but our HF's plan is so encouraging. Im glad to hear she passed peacefully, into a loving granddaughters arms with a precious great grandson running to her. She was a beautiful women and I know you loved her so much. I hope you and your family will be blessed with comfort. We will keep you in our prayers. love you.

Holley said...

Sarah,
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and this time. Thank you for posting your father's sweet tribute and testimony. It is such a blessing to know that Families Are Forever and that you will only be parted from your grandmother for a brief time before the resurrection. I pray that you will all be comforted and enjoy the many wonderful memories you have of this amazing woman. I wish I had known her.

The Alands said...

Sarah,

I am so sorry for your loss. It really is such a bittersweet side, it is hard to say goodbye but they are in such a better place. I'm so glad you were able to come up so quickly. Best of luck this weekend, our prayers are with you and your family.

The Dickinson's said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma. I'm glad you can be with your fam during this hard time. Your little guys are so cute. I can't believe how big they are. Hope your doing good.

Heather said...

What a blessing it is that you got those recent pictures of your Grandma & boys together. I hope all your family is doing well during this hard time.