Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I left my heart in UTAH...


Today Ryan called me during his lunch break. As we were talking I cut him off and said, "Ryan I am HOME SICK." He proceeded to tell me Nevada is my home now (which he always does) and although it is true, I told him I am still home sick for UTAH. I miss my mom, my sisters, the rest of our families, my friends, being able to actually watch the BYU football games, the mountains, and maybe even the snow?!?

I started to think about how quickly time has gone since we had Brady and Easton. We moved here when they were just 8 months old and now they are 2! The time for us to move back to Utah is fast approaching and with the Holidays coming, our time left here is limited. I have LOVED living here in Nevada. I have loved our ward, the friends we have made, the experiences we have had, and the way our family has been strengthened. I would not change the time we have spent here for anything and to be honest, we have actually even talked about taking a job here because we have loved it so much. But today it dawned on me, I left my heart in Utah! Think what you will...whether you hate Utah, think it is dumb to raise your family there, or all the other things I hear every day, it is my HOME! I love it there and although leaving will be hard, I think come MARCH I will be ready to go home.

I am excited to head that way tomorrow and be able to spend Thanksgiving with our families! Utah here we come!!!

16 comments:

Whitney said...

This was sweet Sarah. Although I have never lived outside of Utah I agree with all that you wrote. It seems some people who grew up in Utah like to bash it but I think it is a pretty great place.

Desiree Sanders said...

I LOVE IT! I try to not love utah, but I do too! It's clean, beautiful, the people are nice, and it really does have lower teen problems than other areas! So it's actually a good place to raise a family. Look how you turned out! We've actually thought about it in our 5 year plan.

Jules said...

Sarah, it sounds like we will be crossing paths on I-15. We are going to St. George for Thanksgiving this year. I love Utah too, I have no desire to leave, but if I had to I would. I would miss it terribly though. I guess what it boils down to is home is where your family is and that will never change. I know Kelly misses being home. I'm glad you guys will be back soon, I have been lonely with my family all spread out. Love you guys, Julie

Angela and Mike said...

whenever I see all the pictures of all the family together in Utah...it makes me homesick for Utah too...and I'M NOT EVEN from Utah. haha.

What I wouldn't give to have my family even within driving distance... :(

Renee said...

Amen. We are excited to have you back.

Heather O'Brien said...

Oh Sarah, I am SO with you. Aaron and I have that conversation all the time. I'm jelous you're going home for Thanksgiving. Can you seriosly imagine ME cooking a turkey and sticking my hand up its butt to clean it out? ya right. Have lots of fun.

jakeandstephanietaylor said...

So good to hear!!! That makes me happy that your coming back to stay:) Love ya

sunni said...

I second your love for Utah... I know I would miss it if we went away!! Well put!

Niki Carter said...

I miss it too but I don't think I will ever move back. Sometimes it is hard to make somewhere else home. I think about the fact that my kids are growing up in Texas. This is home to them as much as Utah is home to me. I think over the years, as Texas is home for my kids it will become home for me as well. Have fun with your family!

Lindsay Ercanbrack said...

I would NOT love for you to stay in Nevada. The ONLY plus is yearly shopping trips where we spend way too much money. But we can still do that and just stay in a hotel instead! I hope you have an awesome day tomorrow. I doubt I'll get to see you this time so we need to plan for your time in Christmas!

Chelsey Meier said...

Well said Sara. I thought I might not be a "Utah girl," but I'm finding that maybe I am.(Don't tell Jared.:)) There are a lot of GREAT things about Utah! Family and friends of course. Parking lots and driveways are a luxury. Being able to go out after dark without fearing for your life. Real grocery stores close by! Sales tax isn't %10. Freeways that aren't ALWAYS backed up and CRAZY and terrifying to drive on! Mountains as landmarks to tell directions. There aren't a million one-way streets in your neighborhood. I do love Chicago, but I'm with you. My heart is in Utah and I am SO excited to go home for the holidays.

Masters Of Disasters said...

I can't believe I didn't get to see you guys during Thanksgiving. I hear the boys are so cute. Hope to see you sooner than later.

Chelsea said...

Okay, so I am beginning to see the good things about living in Utah. Number one on the list right now is no rain! And, I think if I lived in Vegas I'd be homesick for Utah too! P.S. In the process of sending out Christmas cards, so shoot me an email with your address:

chelsea.marshall@gmail.com

Holley said...

I know exactly how you feel! Run home as fast as you can as soon as you can! Nothing can take the place of living close to and being a part of a large extended family!

That is something my own boys have sort of missed out on.

Our Family said...

Nothing replaces living close to family. Almost everyone we met when we lived in Ohio (that wasn't from Utah) lived there because that's where they were raised and that's where their family lived. They couldn't imagine how we could live so far from our family. Utah is great, but it's mostly great because your family is here. Nothing is better than that!

Anonymous said...

MY best friend Jamie got the same way when she moved to Washington. She missed the snow since it does really snow that much in Poublso. So I tried so hard to get snow to her. I found a snowflake at Spencers when it was in the Orem Mall. Thanks to a great friend he got it for me at no charge he work there also. So if I have to do the same for you I will buy every snowflake ordament and if I can find anything that has to do with snow so you won't have to fret!

Tessa