Sunday, September 16, 2007

"I Think I'm In Labor"

One year ago today I was 29 weeks pregnant. I woke up and felt good. Ryan moved me to the couch in the family room where I spent the day watching football with the family. BYU played Boston College and lost. Every time I moved from the couch everyone would freak out and yell at me to lay down. This bed rest thing was getting very old very fast. Ryan's mom and dad picked him up to go to Weber to watch his brother coach. About 2 hours later I started having really bad back pain that just kept getting worse. We finally decided to call the doctor on call (since it was a weekend) and he did not call back. My doctor was a good friend of my dads in medical school so my mom finally called him at home and explained what was going on. He told her to take me straight to labor and delivery.

My mom and dad got me in the car and Renee called Ryan to tell him what was going on. We got to the hospital and got checked in. They took me to a room and hooked me up to all these monitors. I had one for my contractions and one for each baby. It was so uncomfortable. I had a fabulous nurse but there was a HUGE mix up with who my doctor was supposed to be and I had a horrible experience. I was so nauseous and they wanted to give me a shot but I HATE NEEDLES so I convinced them to give me oral medication instead. Soon enough they confirmed that I was in labor. They did everything they could to stop my contractions including giving me about 7 shots (so much for my no shot goal) but nothing worked. After many hours, many shots, and many phone calls to my poor husband, they decided to admit me to the hospital. They finally got an IV started, after about 4 tries, and started me on the most horrible medication you can imagine called magnesium sulfate. Ryan got there at about 1:00 a.m. and we spent the night at the hospital. We could hear the babies hearts beating which was comforting but I can honestly say I have never been so scared in my life.

5 comments:

brittany said...

I'm with you, I hate needles, I would have tried to get out of the shots too.

Becky said...

I love the play-by-play. Definitely more entertaining, since we heard everything through Geoff last time.

Jaime Stephens said...

I am sad I feel like this is happening right now....

What cute pictures I love kids they are sooo funny. Any I was laughing at the funny things your boys do they crack me up

Angela and Mike said...

What a crazy experience you had to go through...but now you have two cute healthy little boys. I remember visiting you in the hospital. You are a strong woman!

Williams Fam said...

I remember that~ You are amazing for getting through all that! It made me feel lucky when I thought my birthing experience was horrible! We were glad that you didn't end up beating us with the arrival of the Carly vs. the twins!!( I mean that in a good way!) You're awesome Sarah!